Permanent Residency

Temporary Residency

Permanent residency in Canada applies to those who are not Canadian citizens but who have been granted permission to live and work in Canada without any time limit on their stay. And those who are granted permanent residency is called a permanent resident.

Now, you may think that everything stops there. But no! There are perks of being a permanent resident in Canada. And so, what are those?

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

  • get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage,
  • live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
  • apply for Canadian citizenship,
  • Protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

NOTE: However, you must pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.
​To familiarize ourselves further, let us identify this programs that allows you to be a permanent resident in Canada.

Federal Skilled Worker Program
         Applicants are chosen as permanent residents based on their ability to settle in Canada and take part in the economy. They are assessed based on their: English/or French language skills, education, work experience, age and other factors that have been shown to help newcomers prosper in Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades Program
            This is for applicants who wish to become a permanent resident under qualified in a skilled trade (NOC Major Group 72, 73, 82, and 92; NOC Minor Group 632 and 633). To be eligible, they will need to meet the minimum criterion that includes work experience, language abilities, and other requirements.

Canadian Experience Class
           Class of persons who may become permanent residents on the basis of the experience in Canada. You just need to have atleast 1 year full time Canadian skilled work experience within 3 years of applying. According to Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means: Managerial Jobs, Professional Jobs, Technical Jobs and Skilled Trades.

Provincial Nominee
          Most provinces and territories in Canada have an agreement with the government of Canada that lets them nominate immigrants who want to settle there. And in many cases, you must apply directly to a province or territory to be considered under its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). After the province or territory nominates you, the next step would be to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residency.

Family Sponsorship
​         Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor family members for Canadian immigration.Canada has one of the most generous family reunification programs in the developed world. The government is committed to keeping families together whenever possible, and prioritizes the processing of sponsorship applications.

A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally authorized to enter Canada for temporary purposes. Citizenship Immigration Canada, or CIC, processes these applications under several categories:

  • Visitors
  • Students
  • Temporary Workers
  • Temporary Resident Permit Holders

Temporary residents are subject to various conditions, namely the length of their stay in Canada.

​​​​​Foreign Students
Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. A foreign national who wishes to come to Canada to study must obtain a study permit and be accepted at a designated learning institute in Canada.

Visitors Visa
Experience Canada as a temporary visitor and enjoy the different opportunities the country can offer, including visiting family and friends. A foreign national should apply for visitor visa at least a month before intended departure.

Super Visa
Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the parent and grandparent super visa. This visa is valid for up to 10 years and will let you visit your family in Canada for up to two years without renewing your status.

Temporary Foreign Worker
Foreign national wanting to work temporarily in Canada as a temporary foreign worker, business person, or live-in caregiver, are generally required having a genuine job offer to obtain a work permit.

Live-in Caregiver
Individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada. You may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada after you have had the following work experience under the Live-in Caregiver Program: a) 24 months of authorized full-time live-in employment, or 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment, you can complete these hours within a minimum of 22 months. When calculating your hours, you can also include up to 390 hours of overtime; and b) the work experience must be acquired within four years of your date of arrival.